We’ve known of at least one nurse who went back and forth for 17 years about getting a BSN before she finally did! What is it about this nursing degree that calls to so many nurses? Here’s a list of some of the biggest benefits of having a BSN.
12 biggest reasons nurses get a BSN
1. More job opportunities. Many employers require a BSN for numerous positions (especially management jobs) within their organization.
2. Leadership. To bring management and leadership skills to the floor.
3. Low-impact job options. As the years wear on, you’ll inevitably find yourself desiring a nursing job with less physical demands than floor nursing. Being able to fall back on the BSN degree makes this transition possible.
4. Master’s prep. It’s a stepping stone to getting a master’s degree.
5. Marketability. An increasing number of clinical job postings are listing “BSN preferred.”
6. Opens the door to non-hospital opportunities. While you may be satisfied at your job today, earning a BSN will allow you to avoid scrambling when you’re ready to get out from under the fluorescents.
7. Personal enrichment. Earning a BSN requires a broad range of studies including liberal arts, history, poli-sci, informatics, health assessment, forensics, genetics…the list goes on!
8. Higher pay. ’Nuff said.
9. Flexibility. You can earn a BSN without being a full-time student. The flexibility of online education appeals to nurses who are interested in a higher degree, but are unable to devote the time all at once.
10. NP prep. It’s a stepping stone to getting the MSN as an NP.
11. Pride. The satisfaction of completing a bachelor’s degree.
12. Supplemental knowledge. Nurses who are interested in being the best they can be appreciate the extra knowledge that will enhance their everyday nursing skills.
Do you have a BSN degree? Tell us why!
This article is brought to you in partnership with Bellevue University. Unlike other programs where the focus is on theory, the focus of Bellevue University’s RN to BSN curriculum is on application and experiential learning. The program utilizes cutting edge technology to deliver a high quality online educational experience. The online courses are a benefit to students who often juggle full time family and career obligations. In their online program you choose when to “attend” class as it best fits into your schedule. Additionally, the online classroom allows you to share and learn from the unique experiences of class mates in diverse situations around the world. The value of this single aspect of online learning and collaboration is unmatched in any face-to-face classroom. Find out more.