5 more healthy, quick recipes for nurses on the go
Given your chaotic mess…er…schedule, being alert is your No. 1 priority. And what better to help you stay on the ball than some yummy snacks (and no, we don’t mean the kind you can find in the vending machine at 3 AM!)?
Check out 5 more healthy snacks you can make and take on the go with you:
1. Air Popped Popcorn. Not only is this WAY cheaper than the processed variety, it’s also MUCH healthier. A whole three cups of air popped popcorn contains less than 100 calories! Try this recipe for a kick when you’re ready to snooze on the night shift.
- 1 tsp butter or coconut oil
- 1 tsp sugar
- cinnamon to taste
Sprinkle the sugar on the buttered popcorn, then shake on the cinnamon.
2. Banana, Kale and Almond Milk Smoothie. Kale is all the rage these days–for good reason! This powerful veggie packs many essential vitamins and cancer fighting properties. Put this in a thermos and drink it throughout the day or night!
In a blender, puree 1 medium banana, 1 cup chopped kale and 1 cup of almond milk until smooth.
3. Spicy Watermelon and Pistachios. Seriously, try it before you give us that face! The flavors really come out with the sweet and spice.
- 2 cups – cut-up watermelon
- 1 tb – fresh lime juice
- 1/2 tsp – grated lime zest
- Pinch – cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp – chopped unsalted roasted pistachios
4. Carrot, Raisin and Cream Cheese Bites. As a nurse eating, right isn’t always what happens when you’re faced with limited options and even less time. But these bites incorporate both fruit and veggies to help you stay healthy while on the go!
- 1 whole wheat tortilla
- 1 tb cream cheese
- 1/2 carrot, grated
- 10 raisins
Spread cream cheese on tortilla. Add the raisins and carrots then roll up! Slice into bite size.
5. White-Bean Hummus. Hummus is such a versatile dip; it’s good on almost anything and packs a ton of protein to keep you going through a 12-hour shift! Try this recipe and take it with you on those long nights.
- 1 can cannellini beans
- 1 handful of fresh basil leaves
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tb tahini
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tb extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon, juiced
1. Blend ingredients except for basil leaves, black pepper and olive oil until smooth, scraping down sides as you go.
2. Serve with a garnish of basil leaves, drizzled olive oil and freshly ground black pepper.
What’s your favorite healthy snack to bring with you on the go?