Are you a busy nurse? There’s an app for that. In fact, there’s an app for every area of your life, be it your break time, your busiest shift or life outside of work.
We polled thousands of nurses and came up with the 50 apps that nurses are obsessed with right now for music, humor, work solutions, weight loss and even tuning a violin!
Yup. There’s an app for everything. Did we miss your favorite? Add it to our comments!
Fun and Games
1. Top App: Pandora – Create a station based on a favorite song or artist and discover new tunes!
Why nurses love it: “Love the ambient station.” —Nurse Michaela
More games and entertainment apps that nurses are loving right now:
2. Jewels – A simple yet polished match-3 puzzle game. Just the right ingredients for an addictive game.
3. Ghost Radar – Got a dark supply room you need to go into? Download this paranormal activity detector first. Or get slimed. Up to you.
4. MP3 Music Downloader – Shop 16 million songs and play music on your mobile device.
5. Facebook – If you haven’t abandoned ship for Google+, you probably have this app on your phone already.
6. Plants vs. Zombies – “Use your arsenal of 49 zombie-zapping plants—peashooters, wall-nuts, cherry bombs and more—to mulchify 26 types of zombies before they break down your door.” Sounds like fun, right?!
7. Sudoku – It’s been a top 100 app in iTunes for over a year. And it’s free. So…what are you waiting for?
8. iHeartRadio – Listen to America’s best music and talk stations.
9. Words with Friends – A great version of Scrabble that you can play with multiple friends. There’s a free version, too!
10. Shazam – Discover, buy and share the song that’s playing.
11. Solitaire – Have a couple minutes to kill? Choose from a variety of pretty backgrounds for this go-to card game.
12. Angry Birds – Download the nation’s favorite obsession!
13. iBooks – Download books to your beautiful mobile bookshelf. Help your children to read with the “read aloud” feature.
14. YouTube – This is a total must-have!
15. SquirrelCam – Watch wildlife live on your phone!
16. TV listings – The official TV Guide app lets you check listings and get all of the latest entertainment news.
17. iRecord – Record videos, movies and music.
18. Nook – Read your favorite books, newspapers and magazines and sample titles for free.
19. Bejeweled Blitz – Do we really need to explain this one?
20. Mahjong – The classic game now on your mobile phone.
21. Wordament – Real-time multiplayer word game!
22. Zentimino – This low-pressure puzzle game is meant to be challenging but relaxing!
23. Top App: Web MD – Check symptoms, access drug and treatment information, and more.
Why nurses love it: “It’s free and it has a great drug reference guide.” —Nurse Jenn
Other apps for work that nurses are loving right now:
24. Medscape – A popular and comprehensive app for medical professionals!
25. iTriage – Evaluate symptoms, learn about possible causes, find appropriate medical facilities and more.
26. iPharmacy – A pill identifier and medication guide.
27. Mini Nurse – Sharpen your skills on the go! This app is perfect for nursing students.
28. Epocrates – Pull up info on drug interactions and prices, access a medical dictionary and more.
29. Calculate by QxMD for Oncology – Use this clinical calculator for decision support.
30. Top App: MapMyFitness – Keep records of all of your workout activities using GPS.
Why nurses love it: “I can track my workouts.” —Nurse Conni
Other life solution apps that nurses are loving right now:
31. BlackBerry Travel – Plan your next trip!
32. Call Blocker – Send callers to voicemail or “pick up and hang up” with one button!
33. MSN Messenger – Instant-message wherever you go!
34. Sprint Navigation – Throw your maps away. Get directions by voice and onscreen.
35. Starbucks – Pay for your drink using the app!
36. Yahoo Mail – Check your email.
37. Yahoo News – Get all the latest news.
38. WeatherBug – Find out the local weather.
39. Bible Verses – Take the Bible with you!
40. Google Maps – Type in your destination address and get driving directions.
41. MyFitnessPal – This handy app helps you get fit.
42. BabyCenter – Stay on top of baby’s early years.
43. MapQuest – This old standby navigator is still great.
44. Grocery Grabber – Have your groceries delivered to you!
45. GasBuddy – Find the best prices at the pump in your area.
46. PlentyOfFish – Set up your next hot date (on your lunch break!).
47. Yelp – Find that restaurant your coworker was telling you about.
48. Weight Watchers – The popular weight-loss program now goes everywhere with you.
49. Violin Tuner – Just what it sounds like. It helps you tune your violin!
50. Zedge – A great mobile device personalization tool with wallpaper and ringtone galleries and more!).
Tell us about your favorite apps and what you love about them!
For more Life Solutions pick up the latest issue of Scrubs magazine, available at a retail store near you!
Did you know that Scrubs has an app? Download the Code Happy app and start connecting with other nurses!