A peek into Kris Kringle’s care plan
iStock | inhauscreative
Care Plan: K.K.
Male, age unknown
Height: 154 cm
Weight: 115 kg
Total cholesterol: 396
Hemoglobin A1C: 14.5
Current Medical Diagnoses: Obesity, DM II, tobacco abuse, rosacea, osteoarthritis
Social History: Denies drug use. Social alcohol. Manages herd of ruminants. Hobbies include woodworking and toy making (toxic paint exposure). In the past has had extensive exposure to soot and ash in the performance of job duties. Married, lives with wife and a number of unrelated short people. No stairs in home. Patient states his diet consists mostly of cookies and warm milk.
- Imbalanced nutrition: greater than body requirements
- Knowledge deficit: diabetes management
- Risk for hypo-oxygenation related to tobacco abuse
- Knowledge deficit: nutrition
- Role stress related to management of herd and unrelated short adults
- Risk for toxicity related to hobby—painting toys and dolls for little children
Goals for This Hospitalization:
- Patient will list three foods other than cookies that can make up a healthy diet.
- Patient will demonstrate use of glucometer.
- Patient will verbalize goal blood sugars (150 mg/dl or less).
- Patient will verbalize two strategies for overcoming binge eating.
- Patient will verbalize use of protective mask when painting toys.
Notes from Other Disciplines:
PT: Patient has belly like bowl full of jelly. Good standing balance, walked 300’ unassisted. Discharged from PT; please reconsult if necessary.
OT: Patient performs all ADLs without assistance. Discharged from OT.
Psychiatry consult service: Patient shows tendency to laugh inappropriately, wink and place finger on the side of his nose. Consider dementia, chronic microvascular changes in DD.
Expected Discharge Dispo: Discharge to home no later than a.m. of 12/24.
Agatha Lellis is a nurse whose coffee is brought to her every morning by a chipmunk. Bluebirds help her to dress, and small woodland creatures sing her to sleep each night. She writes a monthly advice column, "Ask Aunt Agatha," here on Scrubs; you can send her questions to be answered at firstname.lastname@example.org.
By Agatha Lellis