Apps for nurses: NIH Stroke Scale
Over on our Facebook page, we’ve got a conversation brewing about the best nursing related phone apps. One of the nominees for best app is the NIH Stroke Scale, created by Pavilion Neurology. This app was recommended by a neuro nurse as being a great help in quickly and accurately grading the severity of stroke signs. The iTunes page says it’s “especially useful for evaluating acute strokes being considered for intravenous thrombolysis or other acute interventional therapies.” It’s $2.99.
What nurses love about it:
“Having one less thing to carry in my pocket is great. I really like the detailed instruction it has–it’s hard to remember how to score unusual situations like hx of amputations, etc. There’s also tPA criteria in this app. It even has the 4.5 hr exclusions listed. The only thing I wish it had is an ABCD2 calculator and a quicker way to reach the item you need to score (instead of having to scroll through the whole thing).” – ftlum, iTunes review
- NIH Stroke Scale Version 2.0 includes indications for tPA administration for acute stroke patients. This allows quick reference to the current inclusion and exclusion criteria for tPA administration. Version 2.0 also includes minor changes for compatibility with the iPhone 3.0 operating system.
- Intuitive interface.
- Touching a scoring button adds to the current score. Touching the instructions button provides instructions for each subtest to explain details of testing.
- Changing between subtests is done either by scrolling or by using the Page Control.
- Full screen pictures are included for use in testing language. Tapping on a picture will make any following picture display.
- The final page shows a summary of the test results.
- Tip: To scroll without accidentally hitting a scoring button, touch over the NIHSS Score label.
What do you think? Would you use an app like this? Are you already a fan? We’d love to hear what applications you’re currently using and loving. Please drop us a line in the comments and let us know a few of your favorites!
Did you know that Scrubs has an app? Download the Code Happy app and start connecting with other nurses!