Top 5 Excuses Nurses don’t go back to school
1) I’m too old. My mom just graduated at 62 years old with her Bachelor’s Degree. It took her over ten years to finally get it done—she worked SO hard on it. This is why I have a really hard time with nurses who say that they are too old to go back to school. If you want to go, GO! You are NEVER too old! I remember reading an article about an 88-year-old grandmother who graduated from college. It is a great time to go back to school. The economy is terrible so there is no overtime to work so you might as well get back into the swing of things.
2) I hate writing papers. News flash. Everyone hates writing papers. Even if you get paid to write papers, you hate to write papers on some level. Just sit down and do it. Believe me, it gets easier.
3) I’m not good with computers. I bet you have a child, a niece or nephew or a new grad nurse at work who is. Ask them to show you the basics, then pay someone to do the rest.
4) I don’t like going to class. There are so many options now, you don’t have to go to class! You can do it all online in your PJs from home. I personally do not like online classes but some people love them. Give them a try!
5) It’s too expensive. There are so many grants and scholarships out there for nurses, you’d be surprised how much money goes unclaimed every year. Give an internet search for “nursing scholarships” a try…you’ll be amazed how many hits you’ll get!
So stop your whining and excuses and get back to school! Your neurons will thank you for it.
For more Career Advice for Nurses pick up the latest issue of Scrubs magazine, available at a retail store near you!