There are some nurses whose makeup looks fabulous no matter how hectic their shifts get. Ever wonder what their secret is? We asked Sarah Lazarus, physician’s assistant to New York City plastic surgeon Dr. Sharon Giese, for insider tips.
“As someone who works in the medical aesthetic field, appearance is paramount,” says Lazarus. “Every day I am running from the operating room to patient consultations to doing Botox treatments. I have a tight schedule and don’t have time between appointments for touch-ups, so finding products that last and make me look great all day is so important.
“I focus my beauty routine on the eyes—if your eyes look tired or dull, you don’t look good,” Lazarus continues. “I use Latisse to thicken and lengthen my lashes, and it has truly made my eyes pop. In the mornings I apply waterproof mascara, so that despite the running around and intense days, it stays flawless throughout my shifts.”
Here are five top Scrubs editors’ picks for “stay put” eye makeup to keep your eyes looking flawless and fabulous.
1. Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil ($19). These eye pencils are smudgeable yet have staying power. Rated five stars by Sephora users, one fan declares: “This is the only thing I’ve bought several times. I love it! So easy to use and the color will stay even after I work out in the gym.”
2. Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion ($20). Sweep this primer onto eyes before applying eye shadow. It makes eye makeup pop, extends wear and prevents creasing. One Sephora user raves: “I tried this product because I heard it works well, and I was actually amazed by it! I went to work all day, then to a party, and was so tired I went to bed that night without taking my makeup off. The next morning, my eyeshadow was STILL perfectly intact! I definitely recommend this product. Five stars!”
3. Stila Stay All Day Waterproof Liquid Eye Liner ($20). No budging, feathering or fading. One Sephora user says: “This eyeliner stays on all day and is very user friendly. It was reasonably priced as well, considering that it does not run, fall off or fade.”
4. Maybelline Great Lash Waterproof Mascara ($4.50). A classic, affordable product with serious lasting power, this mascara has been around for decades! It applies evenly, defines and separates, doesn’t clump and has a great brush. A Riteaid.com user raves: “This mascara lasts and lasts. Other top brands may go on thicker initially, but they always flake. Not this brand. You do have to apply two to three coats to get the thickness you want. Great Lash is affordable and long-lasting….no flaking.
5. Makeup For Ever Eye Shadow ($20). Check out this good matte, high-pigmented shadow that clings to the skin even through humidity. A Sephora user says: “They stay all day and all night, and some even stain after you take them off completely (92 and 75 have done this to me). This is a small price to pay for such great, blendable colors.”
For more Skin and Body Advice for Nurses pick up the latest issue of Scrubs magazine, available at a retail store near you!