21. During the months that school is out,Â emergency room visits from children under 14 years old rise by 18 percent.
22. The demand for registered nurses is expected to rise 21 to 35 percent through the first decade of the 21st century.
23. “The charity that is a trifle to us can be precious to others.” Homer, from The Odyssey (9th Century, B.C.).
24. There were 358 existing master’s of nursing programs in the U.S. in 2002, comprising 9% of all registered nurses.
25. In a 2001 survey done by the ANA/NursingWorld.com, 59% of nurses expressed fear of getting a severe back injury as one of their top three occupational health concerns.
26. Around 500 A. D. the Benedictine nursing order was founded by Saint Benedict.
27. There were 75 existing doctorate of nursing programs in the U.S. in 2002, comprising 0.6% of all registered nurses.
28. There were 1,100 existing practical nursing programs in the U.S. in 2002.
29. The average annual earnings for registered nurses was $44,840 in 2000.
30. In 1996, the National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) reported that one million workers are assaulted every year in the workplace and that “Most of these assaults occur in service settings such as hospitals, nursing homes, and social service agencies.”