31. In 1898 the British Army formed the Royal Army Medical Corp.
32. According to the latest data available to the World Health Organization, Ireland, Seychelles, Maldives, Philippines and Azerbaijan have, in that order, the highest ratios of midwives per capita of all nations, ranging from 411.0 to 137.0 midwives per 100,000 people.
33. In 1947, Florence Blanchfield, a nurse, became the first female regular commissioned officer in the United States Army, assigned as the superintendent of the Army Nurse Corp. (b. 1882. d. 1971).
34. There are approximately 567,000 bicycle-related injuries each year that require emergency room attention.
35. 29 Victoria Crosses have been awarded to British medical personnel.
36. The United Kingdom Central Council for Nursing, Midwifery and Health Visiting (UKCC) has been the main regulatory institution of nursing training and standards in the British since 1983.
37. “It is one of the beautiful compensations of this life that no one can sincerely try to help another without helping himself.” Charles Dudley Warner, from “Fifth Study,” Backlog Studies (1873).
38. You know you are a nurse when you baste your Thanksgiving turkey with a Toomey syringe.
39. According to a 2001 World Health Organization report, nurses and midwives can comprise between 50% to 90% of the number of health practitioners in many countries.
40. The American College of Nurse-Midwives was formed in 1955.