- Eat small portions to include two meals and two snacks, eating every two to three hours.
- Eat within the first hour of waking up.
- Eat a small meal before going to sleep post-shift.
- Plan ahead by bringing healthy food choices and snacks, such as a piece of fruit and portion-controlled meals.
- Choose low-fat and low-sugar food items (the latter boosts your immune system).
- Low-fat cheese sticks are great, preferably those made of skim milk.
- Drink water: half of body weight in ounces; half of this amount if on an eight-hour shift (sugar-free flavoring for water is okay).
- Limit consumption of caffeinated beverages.
Make optimal health a reality on every shift!