I am in a bind. I have just returned from the children’s hospital with my son. We were there for two days post-op and I am as neurotic as ever. The hospital has several cases of H1N1.
One of these cases was in surgery at the same time as my little guy. Ahhhh!!! My husband have been going back and forth as to vaccinate our boys with the new H1n1 vaccine. Our main concern is our youngest. He is 17 months old and only weighs 14lbs. He is very small and has a compromised immune system. Do we vaccinate him?
We are getting contradictory responses from medical personnel and it is driving me up the wall!! Do we risk the chance and not vaccinate him?…or do we vaccinate him with a new vaccine that still has yet to be researched further? I just don’t know if I want my child to be an experiment for a new vaccine….especially my sick child! I am all about and for modern medicine, but I would never forgive myself if something happened to one of my children that could of been prevented.
I know I may sound a bit overboard, but these are the things that go through my mind. I myself am not sure if I should get the H1N1 vaccine. I am working in the hospital once a week for my clinical rotation. However, it is not required and the last time I checked, there was a 2.5 hour wait at our health dept. to get the vaccine! This is the only place locally in our area where we can get the vaccine.
I am not sure if it is this way in other states, you may want to contact your local health dept. or ask your physician if you want to be vaccinated. So, the question remains….do I vaccinate? I wish I had the answers!!!