This past week my hospital received its first shipment of H1N1 nasal vaccine for employees.  It was given on a voluntary basis to those employees that meet the recommended qualifications.  I fell into that category, but chose to decline.  I am really on the fence about the whole thing.
My wife had it about a month ago, she was very, very sick, but nothing more than flu-like signs and symptoms that just drug on for a about a week.  I have also had several patients on my unit and staff members that have gotten sick, and have been extremely ill, in fact one of my nurses was hospitalized for a couple of days.

But, still I am not sure if I really want it.  I know that physicians say that it is safe to receive the vaccine, but since it just came out of human trials, I am concerned about the long term effects.  In my mind I am wondering, is the risk of long term effects worth the risk for just a severe flu…..I don’t know.

Now my staff is coming to me for advice.  I really don’t know what to tell them.  I say, to do what you think is best for you and your family.  I have to tell them that I have decided that I am not going to get it at this time, but if they feel it is safe and will keep them well, then they should get it.  I would probably tell my patients to get it as well.

Anyway….while I am trying to make a decision, I am feeling sick today.  Sore throat, cough, malaise….so, while I have been trying to figure it out, I am getting sick.  Guess I should have gotten it while I had the chance.

Like us on Facebook and join the Scrubs Family