I love octogenarians, nonagenarians, and centenarians and I really love when these folks have been married a long time. I especially love when these older married couples still seem to like each other.
I just met a couple last night who had been married 64 years and they were still the sweetest couple ever!!! They met in WWII in France and they had such a beautiful story. He even carried a picture of the two of them on the beach in France in his wallet. It was beautiful. I asked him what the secret was to being married for so long and still liking each other (liking each other is an important point, my grandparents were married for over 50 years and they hated each other! Seriously, they went out of their way to torture each other!)… he said, “Marry someone who likes to kiss.” So simple. And yet really good advice!
Five more pieces of advice I’ve received over the years:
1. From a husband, “Tell your husband to remember these two words: Yes, Dear.”
2. “Marry someone who makes you laugh.”
3. “Wake up every morning and ask yourself how you can make the other person’s life easier. Don’t keep tally of who took out the trash last.”
4. “Respect each other and let her shop.”
and probably my favorite and the hardest to do…
5. “Marry the right person.”
If you have any similar stories, I would love to keep this advice train going!!!