My top ten guilty pleasures…in no particular order…
1. Make a bet with your partner or a really good friend that you know you can win. Bet a lengthy foot massage. Redeem with guilty pleasure knowing you cheated a lil’ bit. If you don’t have someone to bet with or if your partner/really good friend gives horrible foot massages, bite the bullet and go to the mall where you can get one of those hour long foot massages for around twenty five bucks or so.
2. Rent the first few episodes of a TV show that everyone’s been raving about. For example, I just rented the first four episodes of Glee. Commercial free and quite delightful, I must say! Watching just the first few episodes can give you enough of a taste to see if it’s TiVo worthy for the next season.
3. Bake or cook something new and complicated and while you are doing this drink a favorite cocktail (old or new) … if your meal turns out gross, at least you will be tipsy enough to not know it. I just took a go at making vegan cupcakes; Carrot cake with cream cheese frosting. They were actually quite tasty and I wasn’t even drinking. I couldn’t drink because I had a five year old’s birthday party to go to. In hindsight, I should’ve drank. A lot.
4. Go to your favorite book store and pick out a trashy mag or a book and guiltily sit in a cushy chair and read away.
5. Get a manicure/pedicure (this isn’t just for the ladies!) and spring for the extended massage.
6. Have happy hour at a swanky restaurant with a pal you haven’t seen in awhile. The food and drinks will be cheaper and you can still have your evening open to check out all the current blogging on scrubsmag.com.
7. Go to a farmer’s market or local florist and pick out some fresh flowers for your bedside table. There is something so “vacation” -esque about waking up to fresh flowers at your bedside.
8. Watch “The Real Housewives of…” any city. I guarantee you will feel better about yourself in all possible ways.
9. Most movie theatres have an ice cream store nearby. Get your favorite scoop (or two) and smuggle it in to the movie theater. They always say “No outside food or drink”, but really the ice cream at movie theatres is quite subpar so we should be able to bring in our own chocolately peanut butter fudgy crunch.
10. Sometime around noon, get in your most cozy PJs and pop in your favorite movie of all time (mine is Pretty Woman) and cozy in to relax. If you get so relaxed you fall asleep, hey, no worries! You already know the ending!