As a nurse, “book learning” can only getcha so far! Here are the top 10 things nursing school can’t teach you as told by Scrubs’ Facebook fans. Don’t worry, you’ll surely learn all of these things in your first few years on the job (if you know what’s good for ya)!
The top 10 things nursing school can’t teach you
1. Bladder training
2. That real people move
3. How to prioritize what is truly important (and what is not!)
—Kathie Brown Carpenter
4. How to prevent the dreaded “foot in mouth”
5. That sometimes it’s better to listen than talk!
6. You never get lunch…let alone those two 15-minute breaks!
7. To trust your nursing intuition or judgment. That comes later—one of the true gifts of nursing experience.
—Wendy L Cohan
8. Defense training
—Mandie Vick Miller
9. How nurses “eat their young”
10. That nursing school is just a foundation!
Seasoned nurses: What else does nursing school NOT teach you?