Though the nursing profession remains predominantly female, the number of men in nursing is increasing quickly…which we think is pretty darn awesome.
So with Father’s Day right around the corner, we took to our Male Nurses Aren’t Murses–We’re Nurses Facebook page and asked our fans why nurses make the best dads. We’re loving their inspiring responses–check them out below and share your own reasons in the comments!
Top 10 reasons nurses make the BEST dads!
1. We raise our kids with an understanding of the things that make nursing work: caring, knowledge, inquisitive reasoning, respect and resilience.
2. Because our kids are tougher than other kids. We do not run to the ER over every little bump and bruise. They know Daddy has seen worse!
— Jaad Smith
3. We see so much suffering. It makes us really appreciate what we have and cherish it…no greater gift than a child (career pediatrics).
4. We can treat our children’s friends’ lacerations and abrasions so they don’t have to go home and everyone can keep playing.
5. Because geriatrics teaches us how to change diapers correctly, and patience for those who do not listen.
— Ly Nguyen
6. Because they have learned compassion and love being a nurse. And having both comes into a big part of being a great father.
7. My daddy is a great nurse in part, I think, by being a dad first. He learned to feed, wash, change diapers and put another human being before his own needs by being a good dad. That’s what makes a good nurse. Putting another person’s needs before your own. Keeping another clean, fed, comfortable, happy, healthy and teaching them to be able to take care of themselves is a big part of raising children and nursing.
8. Because we can teach our children that we are all the same on the inside, and that the whole person is what matters.
9. Someday when I’m a papa … I think it’ll be the unlimited supply of Band-Aids and Neosporin. Hahaha!
10. Simply because caring is the profession we share with humanity, especially our children.
What else would you add to the list?