There’s a new internet based tool that is supposed to help patients curb wait times by allowing them to see if their doctor is running late. You know, kind of like checking to see if your plane is on time. If your plane is running late, you know you can have another drink at the airport bar! But since you (hopefully) aren’t drinking, driving and going to your doctor’s appointments, I suppose this is the next best thing. Just in case your doctor isn’t part of this program, here are a few other ideas to keep you entertained while waiting for your doctor’s appointment:
- If you have an iPhone I highly recommend playing “Words With Friends.” This is a hybrid of texting and Scrabble. So addictive.
- Grab one of those Highlights magazines and see if you really can find the differences in the pictures. I guarantee you are better at this than you were when you were a kid.
- Count how many times the receptionist rolls her eyes. Sorry to stereotype doctor’s office receptionists here but…
- Another iPhone app that I enjoy is by an ER MD and is called “Think Twice” and it covers many varied topics about how to avoid a trip to the ER. If you think waiting in your doctor’s office is long…the ER is usually even worse.
- A deck of cards is always entertaining. Worst case scenario you can play Solitaire. Best case scenario, you start a Texas Hold â€˜Em game with all the other patients who are waiting and make enough money to cover your deductible for the entire year.
- Update your Facebook status, like, every ten seconds. See if you can make your updates as annoying as Farmville.
- Here’s hoping you read this before you have your next doctor’s appointment: bring a good ol’ fashioned book. Something thrilling that really passes the time so you might actually get annoyed to put down when they finally call you in for your appointment.
- If all else fails, meditate or bring a neck pillow and take a nap. Just don’t start snoring. Seriously.