At the end of last month, U.S. News & World Report released its annual “Best Jobs” list for 2012, and the news is good for nurses. Very good.
Registered Nurse comes in at the number one spot on the list this year, and the magazine points out a number of factors for this top position. Among them is the fact that the occupation has grown even in the tough economy, and the Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that Registered Nurse will be one of the fastest growing occupations in the country between now and 2020, adding over 700,000 jobs to the already 2.7 million strong RN workforce.
Other perks include the strong median annual salary ($64,690) and the opportunities for specialization within the career.
Now, the real question is: Is it true? Is nursing, with all the long shifts, heavy lifting and the daily risk of being squirted with bodily fluids, really such a great job? Only nurses would know the answer. So, we asked Facebook fans for their opinions. This is what you said:
- “I love the variety of positions and different shifts. I love travel nursing the best of all!”–David Irthum
- “You may not get the position you want, but you will find a job! I love being an RN!”–Lucinda Perniciaro
- “We deserve it–now more than ever!”–Bonita Pink
- “I’ll be an RN in a few months, getting capped & pinned on May 24th!” —Mandie Lurz
- “I love being an RN!!”–Debbie Streske
- ”I love being an RN too and never had trouble finding a job.” —Maggie Ornberg
- “Hello? C’mon young people—be a nurse!” —Cynthia Caudle
- “I love being an LPN and proud to have all the RNs around me as either mentors or even their teacher!” —Sherri L Brotzman-Meyer Morse
- “Darn, I wish I hadn’t retired 10 years ago! 35 years was a long time to nurse, but I wouldn’t have missed it for the world!” –Carol Bock Tumidiski
Congratulations, nurses! We here at Scrubs believe that nurses are the best ever—no matter the season!
What’s made nursing a great job for you this year?
U.S. News & World Report
For more News and Opinion pick up the latest issue of Scrubs magazine, available at a retail store near you!